One of my favorite things to do at the end of the year is to listen to all the playlists I made throughout the year and review what my favorite albums and songs were. This year was unique because there were so many individual songs that I absolutely loved yet didn't have many albums I loved in full. So, with that being said, this list is going to be different from the past years where it was strictly 10 songs and 10 albums. I couldn't figure out 10 albums and I had more songs. Changing things up on you.
Have a look and then a listen to my favorite music of 2016 (in no particular order).
(You can listen to it all on my Spotify playlist here)
- James Vincent McMorrow, Get Low
- Maggie Rogers, Alaska
- Car Seat Headrest, Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales
- Lucy Dacus, I Don’t Wanna Be Funny Anymore
- Field Music, The Noisy Days Are Over
- Empire of the Sun, High and Low
- Father John Misty, Real Love Baby
- Gordi, Avant Gardener
- King Creosote, You Just Want
- Michael Kiwanaku, One More Night
- Okkervil River, The Industry
- Peter Bjorn and John, Breakin’ Point
- Ra Ra Riot, Water
- Caveman, Never Going Back
- The Avett Brothers, Ain’t No Man
- Graham Nash, This Path Tonight
The three albums that I loved the most this year were:
Jim James, Eternally Even <---I could not love this man more. He is absolutely brilliant.
Local Natives, Sunlit Youth <---finally saw them live this fall, oh how I love them.
The Head and the Heart, Signs of Light
THE ALBUMS THAT I ENJOYED YET NEED TO SPEND MORE TIME ON:
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
case/lang/veirs, case/lang/veirs <----brilliant performance at Newport Folk Festival especially when they sang Helpless. Watch here.
Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Getaway
Bon Iver, 22, A Million <----after seeing them last night, I am adjusting to this newness but it's not the same. This will take some time.
The Last Shadow Puppets - Everything You've Come to Expect
Hope you enjoyed checking out my list -- I'd love to hear what your favorites were this year so feel free to email me or tweet me your favorites @harper_spero.